The Ultimate Telluride Festival Survival Guide
So, you’re going to a festival in Telluride. This is an experience that you won’t soon forget. Whether you are a festival newbie or a well-seasoned vet, there are certain things that can make or break your experience. Instead of stressing out about what you should and shouldn't bring, or what you might have forgotten - we bring you this handy Festival Survival Guide to ensure that you have nothing but an excellent time.
- Don’t forget your tickets! - No, seriously. This seems obvious, but there’s nothing worse than making everyone late for their favorite act or event because you left your ticket sitting on the bedside table.
- Carpool buddies - Again, not kidding. Getting left behind sucks. Having to figure out transportation last minute on your own is even worse. Be considerate and don’t forget about friends and family who are riding with you.
- Write down essential information. Festivals are notoriously bad when it comes to cell phone coverage, especially when you are squeezing hundreds of people into an already overloaded coverage area. Make sure you have everyone’s phone number written down in case you need to borrow someone else's phone to make a call. If you are coming from a rental home, write down your address! Especially if you overindulge and need a ride home.
- Not to sound like your mom, but don’t forget the basics! Wallet, insurance cards (just in case), debit card, cash, phone, and keys.
- A water bottle. No matter what you do, BRING WATER. This can’t be stressed enough. Standing in the hot sun and drinking beer at altitude is a recipe for disaster unless you stay well hydrated.
- Festival App. In the event that your phone does get service, and the festival you are attending does, in fact, have an app, use it! This is the best place for up-to-date information and resources like maps, updated events, set lists, and locations.
- Write down where you parked. Yes, Telluride is a small town, and eventually you will be able to find your car, but do you really want to waste your time looking for it? Make it easy on yourself and write down signposts i.e. “down Willow Avenue, on the left hand side of the road, next to the blue Victorian” to guide you back quickly and effectively.
- Once you are inside the festival, designate a meeting spot in case any one gets lost. This goes back to the whole unreliable phone situation. Having a designated meeting point is so much easier than wandering around for hours looking for each other.
- Solar charger. Most of the buildings in Telluride are older and don’t have a lot of charging ports for sad, dead cell phones. One thing there’s no shortage of - whether permitting, of course - is lots of sunshine. Pack a solar charger so you can Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and Tweet to your heart’s content without running out of juice.
- Comfortable pair of shoes or rain boots depending on the forecast. One perk of being in a small town is that you can walk anywhere, and you should! Just be sure to wear shoes that won’t make you miserable after a couple of hours.
- Be prepared for rain. Colorado is an unpredictable beast. One second the sun is shining and the skies are blue, and the next nature might decided to unleash a flood of biblical proportions. A poncho or rain jacket are must brings to any Colorado festival. If you are toting along fancy technology like a camera, make sure to pack a waterproof plastic bag to keep it safe from drizzle.
- Protect yourself from the sun. On the flipside of that coin, the sunshine at altitude can be brutal. The atmosphere is thinner and you are most likely thousands of feet closer to the sun than where you call home. Slather up in SPF, sport a hat the protects your gorgeous skin, and wear those sunglasses like the rockstar you are!
- Blankets for your bum. We get it. Standing all day sounds like it should be a lot easier than it actually is. Bring along a blanket you can spread out over the grass in case you want take a load off or maybe even take a nap. We won’t judge.
- Hand sanitizer and baby wipes. Trust us. There is not enough hand sanitizer in the world after you step out of a festival port-a-potty.
Now all that’s left is to just be aware of your surroundings, be courteous to your neighbor, and have a great time! But you didn’t need us to tell you that, did you? You are already well on your way to becoming a pro at this.
6 Things to Love About Spring Skiing
It seems like only yesterday that we were waiting in anticipation of winter. Like children on Christmas morning, we eagerly counted each leaf as it changed from a verdant green to a Colorado gold. We watched the temperatures fall, praying in vain that maybe tomorrow the clouds would darken and this time it would be snow instead of rain that fell from the sky.
It seems like only yesterday we were waiting for Winter, but here we are on the doorstep of Spring.
Already, the weather is gradually warming and the sun bathes the valley in a warm light longer and longer each day. Sometimes it feels like everything passes by so quickly that we hardly have a chance to appreciate the changing of the seasons, and all of the sudden, an entire ski season has passed by, an entire year, a lifetime.
You weren't put on this earth to go to work, pay your bills, and die. Life is about catching that first chair, carving fresh tracks, and burying life's problems in two feet of fresh powder.
Even if you haven't taken the time to experience the freedom of the slopes this year, there is still more than enough time. Cash in that PTO and buy your ticket or load up your car – whatever you're looking for, that joy of simply living - it is real, it exists, it is here. All you have to do is seek it out, and in case you feel a little unmotivated, we wanted to remind you why Spring skiing in Telluride just can't be beat.
For seasoned Coloradans, a dip into the teens or single digits is unpleasant but bearable. However, for those who are accustomed to a more mild environment, skiing in the dead of Winter can be miserable. Sometimes the thought of suiting up in a manner resembling Ralphie in A Christmas Story just to go slide down an icy mountain all day in sub-zero temperatures seems more like a Sisyphean torture than a reward – fireside with an adult beverage is a perfect alternative, thank you very much.
Yet, once Winter begins its slow retreat and Spring emerges victorious, the temperature rises from unbearable to downright pleasant. You may even find yourself breaking a sweat on particularly beautiful days. Heck, you might even find yourself thinking, “Hey! It's so warm I might just forego my ski gear and rock those blue jeans instead.” We won't judge you for thinking about it, but please, just don't go through with it.
Beat the Crowds
Many visitors take advantage of built in vacation time around the holidays to head for the mountains, but an increase in traffic is inversely proportionate to the amount of fun you are going to have. Less people means shorter lift lines, available restaurant reservations at the best spots in town, and bars that you don't have to fight your way through to find a drink or a seat.
As seasons change, so do your dining options. Now that the weather’s warming up, wild game dishes are spicing up ski-town’s menus. Different fresh produce and ingredients gradually start to reappear as well. Find some of the best seasonal food in Telluride at La Marmotte, where rustic elegance rules and local and seasonal dishes thrive.
Lots of Retail Therapy
Two words: spring sales. We love a deep discount about as much as we love deep power. As the end of the ski season nears, stores have to make room for next years gear with deep discounts on current stock. Spring is the time to upgrade your goggles, try out a new model of skis or finally replace the pair of pants you outgrew five years ago.
It's Party Time
From free live music to the beginning of the festival season, Spring means social life is ramping up in the box canyon. If you haven’t attended a closing day party before, this is something not to miss. Everyone dresses up in silly costumes and parties at Gorrono Lodge to celebrate the close of the season. Looking for something off the mountain? The Spring concert series is a great place to shake your booty.
The Scenery Stuns
With longer days and warmer temperatures, the area around the ski mountain slowly comes back to life. The red rocks that have been hiding underneath all of the snow finally start to emerge resulting in a stunning contrast. Animal life grows more active, and you might just be able to see a bobcat, coyote, or a snowshoe bunny.
Basically, Spring skiing is pretty great, but don’t take our word for it - come check it out for yourself!
Ski Vacations: Dream Trip or Logistical Nightmare?
And How Your Lodging Choice Can Make All the Difference
We all fell in love with skiing in different ways and at different times.
Some of us were young and brave, only mere feet above the ground as we struggled to manipulate the awkward, unfamiliar equipment attached to our stubby appendages from a french fry into a pizza pie. Falls typically resulted in laughter and impromptu snowball fights, our unfortunate ski instructors armed only with futile attempts at restoring order.
For others, the natural athletes among us, who boast coordination that puts mere mortals to shame, the sport came naturally. And then there we those who didn’t discover the joy of the slopes until we were much older - every achievement bought and paid for with aching hips and knees, the pain magnifying the pleasure of flying down a lonely run on a bluebird day.
No matter who you are or where you come from, the mountain speaks to all of us in the same way. It doesn’t treat anyone differently - a black diamond is a black diamond no matter what you do for a living, and that same slick of ice will reach up to snatch at your ski whether you are a beginner or an expert. The mountain is nature’s own democracy, it puts us all on the same plane while giving us the freedom to push ourselves, to discover something new, or simply to breathe that fresh mountain air.
The reasons we love to ride are different for each of us, but the things that deprive us from those ideal experiences and make our treasured ski vacations less than perfect - well, those are pretty universal.
Unfortunately, most skiers and snowboarders don’t have the luxury of living right by the slopes, throwing a logistical wrench into something that should only bring pure joy. There’s gear you have to rent, tickets you have to wait in line to buy, and on top of all that - you have to get yourself, your gear, your tickets, and your friends and family from your lodging to the actual mountain.
Why can’t mountain vacation experiences be just as deliciously simplistic as they are in our dreams? Can’t we just reduce our list of things to worry about to which runs to hit and what time to meet for lunch? That freedom we feel once we are on the mountain - why can’t that same feeling blanket our entire vacation?
Not to tune our own boards, but Latitude 38 takes our guest’s experience very seriously, and that is especially true when it comes to getting you on the slopes. Even though the mountain may treat everyone the same way, your lodging choice can make all the difference when it comes to an “okay” ski vacation and a “great” one.
When you choose Latitude 38 as your Telluride lodging partner, you aren’t just choosing a place to stay, you are demonstrating that you expect more than just a roof over your head, you expect a luxury, turn-key experience. Still not convinced? We are proud to provide our guests with the following perks:
Exclusive Ski Club Access
New to our guests this season, Latitude 38 recently opened our exclusive Ski Club located at the base of Chair 4 (Village Express). Here, guests can store gear in private lockers, enjoy a warm beverage, and schedule a dinner reservation later that night through our in-club concierge staff member.
In-Home Equipment Rentals
Who wants to go stand in line in a crowded store to rent gear after spending all day on a plane and standing in lines at airports? We are pretty sure the answer is, “no one” which is why Latitude 38 has partnered with local rental services like Ski Butlers who will come to your rental home and fit you and your entire group for gear. Sound too good to be true? Pinch yourself because we are 100% serious.
Discounted Lift Tickets Delivered to Your Door
Latitude 38 is lucky enough to have an established relationship with the ski mountain that grants us a pretty good discount on lift tickets. We are more than happy to purchase tickets for you and your family at this discounted price and have them waiting for you at your home when you arrive. No more walking in ski boots to the lift ticket office and waiting in yet another line - just use all the extra time to enjoy a couple of extra runs for us.
Shuttle Service to the Mountain
Carrying skis and walking in ski boots at the same time is awkward. Hitting your husband in the head with your skis when you swing around to check that your kids are still following you is even worse. Cut down on your margin for error and likelihood of injury, and jump on a shuttle to the mountain instead of trying to walk. If you are staying at any of our Mountain Village homes, a complimentary shuttle will pick you up at your door and whisk you away to deposit you at the base of the slopes - hopefully, without any injuries.
A Selection of Ski-In Ski-Out Homes
If shuttling to the mountain or riding Telluride’s free gondola still feels like too many steps, you can always just cut out the middleman and stay at any of our wonderful ski-in, ski-out homes. There is nothing quite like the convenience of strapping on your skis right outside your door without having to lug equipment or wait for a shuttle. Check out all of our homes with ski access here.
Full Catalogue of Concierge Services
At the end of the day, your trip should be all about relaxation and enjoyment. If you enjoy planning itineraries, wonderful! If not, we are here to help. Ride to and from the airport? A private chef to whip up a gourmet meal in your luxury home or maybe dinner reservations at Allred’s? A snowmobiling tour through the National Forest on your day off? Whatever your heart’s desire the team at Latitude 38 is here to make it a reality. Find our list of concierge services here, and if you don’t see what you are looking for, let us know, and we will do our best to make it happen.
Why Book with a local professional Property Management Company
Versus VRBO / AirBnB?
A vacation is supposed to be an escape from the everyday stress of day-to-day life, a time to cast worry aside and enjoy time with family and friends. When you book lodging for your stay, things should be easy. Your hosts should be masters of hospitality, and the pricing should be clear. Huge advertising budgets lead many people to think of VRBO, HomeAway, and Airbnb as the first places to look for and reserve vacation rental properties, but the only way to guarantee you get the most from your rental and from your vacation is to book directly with a property management company.
Best Price Guarantee
One of the first things that travelers look for when booking their vacation lodging is price and value. While Airbnb, HomeAway and VRBO market themselves as places to find great deals direct from property owners, unreasonable taxes and fees add a sizeable chunk of cash to the bill. Travelers have reported service fees up to $400 that were added to their bill without notice, and without adding any additional value. This deceitful practice actually only goes to benefit the middle man and only hurts your pocketbook. We believe that hospitality is about relationships, and the foundation of every relationship is trust. When you book directly with Latitude 38, the price you see on our website, or quoted by one of our reservation specialists, is the price you pay; no hidden fees or charges.
Trip Planning & Concierge Services
Exploring new and unfamiliar destinations means trying new food, exploring local shops, and uncovering unexpected adventures. We know that your vacation time is precious, and no one wants to feel like they’ve wasted part of their day doing something that disappointed them. When you book directly with Latitude 38, we want to get to know you - here comes that relationship thing again - we can figure out how to get you the most out of your time in Telluride. As your local experts, we will work together to make recommendations based off of your personality and even book everything for you.
Does your dream turnkey vacation include a snowmobile tour? A sleigh ride? Five star dining? Latitude 38 wants to help take care of everything so all you have to worry about is showing up. We’ll even stock your fridge before you arrive. Good luck finding an Airbnb host that will do that.
We’re Here for the What-If’s
You might have heard horror stories of travelers booking through third party sites only to arrive at their rental to find out that it only has two bedrooms instead of five, the kitchen is the opposite of “fully stocked,” or even worse - that the owner has canceled last minute leaving them stranded without a place to stay. When you booking directly with Latitude 38, what you see is what you get. A five bedroom means five bedrooms. “Entire home” means the entire home, not just one floor. Our kitchens are not only fully-stocked, but they also boast high-end finishes and appliances as well.
What about if something unforeseen goes wrong? The hot tub is cold or there is a problem with the plumbing? Did you book through a third party site? You might be out of luck. But book directly with Latitude 38 and our on-call repair team will be there to help, and if they can’t fix it, we will find a way to make it right.
At Latitude 38, your vacation experience is our passion, and we put service, trust, and forming great relationships at the core of what we do. For third party sites, it isn’t about your experience but about their bottom line. Personal service and concierge come included in your price which is the lowest price you will find anywhere. This is about more than just renting a vacation property, it is about crafting unforgettable experiences for our guests that will live in their memories forever, and keep them coming back for more.